CHURCHES AND CHAPELS IN THE CRIKVENICA AREA
Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Crikvenica
The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the oldest preserved church in Crikvenica. Along with the former Pauline monastery, it is an essential part of the historic town centre.
The church, built in 1412 by Nikola IV Frankopan, houses numerous valuable paintings and statues.
One of these is the painting of St. Simon, the only preserved item from the old Parish Church of St. Simon and Judas Thaddeus, which burned down in a fire in Kotor in the 18th century.
Crkva Sv. Antuna Padovanskoga u Crikvenici
Crkva Sv. Antuna Padovanskoga je nastala prema projektu arhitekta Stjepana Rovešnjaka i akademskoga kipara Zvonka Cara. Kamen temeljac za crkvu položen je 1934. godine, a blagoslovljena je 1939. Impozantan zvonik visok je 35 metara. Dovršen je nedavno, u prvome desetljeću 21. stoljeća.
Church of St. Anthony of Padua in Crikvenica
The Church of St. Anthony of Padua was built based on the design of the architect Stjepan Rovešnjak and the sculptor Zvonko Car. The foundation stone for the church was laid in 1934, and the church was consecrated in 1939. The impressive bell tower is 35 metres high. Its construction was completed recently, in the first decade of the 21st century.
Russian Orthodox Church in Crikvenica
The church was built in 1924 in the architectural style of Russian churches on the initiative of Russians who had escaped to Crikvenica after the October Revolution. It is dedicated to St. Nicholas and has a bell tower built next to it. The church was renovated in the 1980s, but has been closed for years.
Church of St. Helen in Dramalj
The Church of St. Helen was built on the site of an ancient chapel in Dramalj. It was renovated in the Baroque style and expanded in the 18th century, when Dramalj was home to the Belgrad parish chaplaincy.
In 1796, Giuseppe Capovilla, a famous artist from Rijeka, made the marble altar for the church. The parish of St. Helen was established in 1809, and the Parish Office and Church of St. Helen were built after 1812. The interior of the church was furnished in the 19th century: the pulpit was added in 1837, and the main altar in 1845.
Church of St. James the Apostle in Jadranovo
The Church of St. James the Apostle was built from stone in the Romanesque style and set in an east-west direction, which means that the main altar is located in the eastern end and the church façade faces west.
The church dates back to the 19th century. Available documents and the appearance of the church suggest that it was built in several stages: first the chapel of St. James the Hermit was built, and then the nave was added in 1812 on the initiative of the priest Mate Balas.
Parish Church of St. Catherine in Selce
The parish Church of St. Catherine houses a Baroque reliquary with items related to this saint. The church was built in 1888. A renowned artist from Rijeka, Pietro Rizzi, made the main altar, while the painter Giovanni Fumi from Venice painted the picture of St. Catherine, which is located above the church tabernacle.
Chapel of St. Catherine in Selce
The Chapel of St. Catherine is located in the secluded greenery of a small park. It is assumed that it originates from the pre-Romanesque period. By the 15th century, it had become run down, but after its renovation in 1498, the Bishop of Modruš started to visit it again.
Chapel of St. Joseph in Selce
The chapel was originally the apse of the aforementioned Baroque single-nave Church of St. Catherine. The main altar of the chapel used to be the main altar of St. Catherine’s. It was made by Jacopo Businello and Antonio Capovilla under the influence of Venetian artists who built golden baroque altars in this area.