55th Fisherman's week
A magical link between a rich tradition and busy everyday life
A hard life, not enough arable land, and dependence on the sea, are just some of the adversities from the past that people living in this area had to deal with. However, they turned it to their advantage and became the best fishermen in the Northern Adriatic. In the 1950s, 30% of the total catch in the Adriatic Sea was caught by fishermen from this area. This opened many doors and opportunities for progress.
Word about this paradise on the Adriatic spread across Europe and aristocrats started exploring the area, enjoying its mild climate, clean sea, beautiful nature, and excellent cuisine. It was a new beginning for the Crikvenica Riviera: the beginning of tourism. The merit for this goes to all those fishermen that fought with the sea, tides, waves and lack of fish. It is thanks to their skills, resourcefulness and ingenuity that people realised that there is a part of the Adriatic coast that leaves every visitor breathless. We owe them a debt of gratitude.
Remembering the days of fishing
Saying 'thank you' wasn't enough for the people of Crikvenica, who decided to make several sculptures that honour both fishing and fishermen. The bronze statue of a fisherman ('Ribar') in the harbour of Crikvenica, the work of the sculptor Zvonko Car, and the modern sculpture of a fish in the centre of Crikvenica, the work of the architect and painter Zdravko Gržičić, symbolise the town's centuries-long tradition of fishing and commitment to the sea. However, this art is not the only reminder of this tradition: local people and their customs, music, and the magical aromas of fish specialties also remind us of it.
We therefore welcome you to the annual Fisherman's Week, which dates back to 1966.
This event takes place at the end of August. Visitors have the opportunity to acquaint themselves with the tradition of the Crikvenica region, visit excellent exhibitions of paintings by artists who were inspired by the sea, take part in various art and sports workshops, or participate in different competitions. The distinguishing feature of Fisherman's Week is the traditional 'Fishing with Guests', which has taken place for more than 50 years, giving visitors the opportunity to have a great time and get advice from skilled fishermen. Of course, Fisherman's Week also includes performances by local cultural, folklore and music groups, as well as the sampling of delicious seafood specialities.
Let us embark together on a journey where the sea will tell you its story and invite you to enjoy the local traditions and customs that are still fostered here today.
55th FISHERMAN´S WEEK 2021. – PROGRAMME
August 28th - Saturday
- 10:00 Children's Art Workshop „Wooden boats“
- 19:00 Water Polo Night
- 20:00 Opening of the 55th Fisherman` s Week:
„Fisherman` s Week Caravan“ – panoramic boat ride
Performance by the musical group „Koktelsi“ on the boat (in the harbour)
DJ Party by Radio „Kaštel“
August 29th - Sunday
- 13:00 Final of the 32nd International Veterans Basketball Tournament "Old Stars Zagreb 2021“ (27.-29.8.)
- 16:30 Traditional wooden boats regatta – sailing on traditional boats
- 18:30 Rowing in the traditional wooden rowboats
- 20:00 Performance by the musical group „Tramuntana“
August 30th - Monday
- 17:00 Sailing with guests
- 20:00 Theatrical play in Chakavian „3-2-1-glasaj“ (Hotel Kaštel)
- 20:00 Evening of fishing tradition
August 31st - Tuesday
- 18:00 Primorska noć – Traditional Night – eco-ethno fair (souvenir sales exhibition)
- Performance by the musical group „Kumpanija Nebuloza“
- Traditional handicraft workshop
- 20:00 Performance by the folklore group „Sunce“, Hygia Square
September 1st - Wednesday
- 20:00 Performances by musical groups: Klapa „Vinčace“, Joso Butorac and Trio „Vivak“ on the boat (in the harbour)
September 2nd - Thursday
- 18:00 Exhibition „Fisherman's Week“
- 20:00 „6th ČA Fest“ - Chakavian festival
September 3th - Friday
- 19:00 Tour of the exhibition "Small boats" with expert guidance, Crikvenica Town Museum
September 4th - Saturday
- 12:00 „Fisherman's Week“ sailing regatta
- 20:00 „MIK-Fest 2021 - Melodies of Istria and Kvarner“ – Finals
Special gastronomic offer of fish menus in 3 courses at a price of 120 kn and fish menus in 5 courses at a price of 240 kn in the following restaurants and taverns:
in Crikvenica: Hotel „Crikvenica“, Horel „Esplanade“, "Karoca" and "Trabakul",
in Jadranovo: "Feral"
in Selce: "Kantunić", " Riva ”, "Ulika" and "Tunar".